Permanent URL to this publication: http://dx.doi.org/10.5167/uzh-19233
PDF - Registered users only
A 52-year-old man was found dead in his bed. He had financial and psychosocial
problems like separation from his wife and children or unemployment due to alcoholism.
Under treatment of disulfiram he was presently abstinent from alcohol. As he had
suffered from epileptic seizures and dizziness, he received valproic acid and the
vasodilator naftidrofuryl, respectively. Autopsy showed no morphologic cause of death.
Chemical analysis of blood revealed concentrations for valproic acid and disulfiram in
the therapeutic and above the therapeutic range but far below the lethal level,
respectively. No ethanol was found. However, the very high concentration of 7500 μg/L
naftidrofuryl in whole blood was considered as cause of death, and the most probable
manner of death seemed to be suicide. To our knowledge, this is the first reported case of
a fatal poisoning with naftidrofuryl.
|Item Type:||Journal Article, refereed, original work|
|Communities & Collections:||04 Faculty of Medicine > Institute of Legal Medicine|
610 Medicine & health
|Deposited On:||25 Sep 2009 08:14|
|Last Modified:||16 Jul 2014 13:45|
Scopus®. Citation Count: 1
Users (please log in): suggest update or correction for this item
Repository Staff Only: item control page