Header

UZH-Logo

Maintenance Infos

Multilocular sinonasal malignant melanoma: a poor prognostic subgroup?


Stanimirov Rossi, O; Vital, Domenic; Soyka, M B; Roth, T N; Huber, G F; Holzmann, D (2015). Multilocular sinonasal malignant melanoma: a poor prognostic subgroup? European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, 272(1):123-129.

Abstract

Clinical observations show that two subtypes of sinonasal malignant melanoma exist: uni- and multilocular melanoma. The aim of this retrospective study was to determine the prevalence and outcome of multilocular sinonasal malignant melanoma. All patients with sinonasal malignant melanoma treated at our institution between 1992 and 2011 were included. Survival and recurrence data were analyzed related to the distribution pattern of the tumors and other factors. Twenty-five patients were identified and included in the analysis. Seven patients (28 %) suffered from multilocular, the remaining 18 patients (72 %) from unilocular sinonasal malignant melanoma. The first group showed a significantly worse disease-free survival, whereas disease-specific and overall survival did not differ between the two subtypes. Multilocular sinonasal malignant melanoma is associated with an unfavorable disease-free survival compared to its unilocular counterpart.

Abstract

Clinical observations show that two subtypes of sinonasal malignant melanoma exist: uni- and multilocular melanoma. The aim of this retrospective study was to determine the prevalence and outcome of multilocular sinonasal malignant melanoma. All patients with sinonasal malignant melanoma treated at our institution between 1992 and 2011 were included. Survival and recurrence data were analyzed related to the distribution pattern of the tumors and other factors. Twenty-five patients were identified and included in the analysis. Seven patients (28 %) suffered from multilocular, the remaining 18 patients (72 %) from unilocular sinonasal malignant melanoma. The first group showed a significantly worse disease-free survival, whereas disease-specific and overall survival did not differ between the two subtypes. Multilocular sinonasal malignant melanoma is associated with an unfavorable disease-free survival compared to its unilocular counterpart.

Statistics

Citations

2 citations in Web of Science®
1 citation in Scopus®
Google Scholar™

Altmetrics

Downloads

1 download since deposited on 05 Feb 2015
0 downloads since 12 months
Detailed statistics

Additional indexing

Item Type:Journal Article, refereed, original work
Communities & Collections:04 Faculty of Medicine > University Hospital Zurich > Clinic for Otorhinolaryngology
Dewey Decimal Classification:610 Medicine & health
Language:English
Date:January 2015
Deposited On:05 Feb 2015 08:56
Last Modified:05 Apr 2016 19:02
Publisher:Springer
ISSN:0937-4477
Publisher DOI:https://doi.org/10.1007/s00405-014-3098-z
PubMed ID:24871862

Download

Preview Icon on Download
Content: Published Version
Filetype: PDF - Registered users only
Size: 242kB
View at publisher

TrendTerms

TrendTerms displays relevant terms of the abstract of this publication and related documents on a map. The terms and their relations were extracted from ZORA using word statistics. Their timelines are taken from ZORA as well. The bubble size of a term is proportional to the number of documents where the term occurs. Red, orange, yellow and green colors are used for terms that occur in the current document; red indicates high interlinkedness of a term with other terms, orange, yellow and green decreasing interlinkedness. Blue is used for terms that have a relation with the terms in this document, but occur in other documents.
You can navigate and zoom the map. Mouse-hovering a term displays its timeline, clicking it yields the associated documents.

Author Collaborations