Header

UZH-Logo

Maintenance Infos

High rate of subcutaneous implantable cardioverter-defibrillator sensing screening failure in patients with Brugada syndrome: a comparison with other inherited primary arrhythmia syndromes


Conte, Giulio; Kawabata, Mihoko; de Asmundis, Carlo; Taravelli, Erika; Petracca, Francesco; Ruggiero, Diego; Caputo, Maria Luce; Regoli, François; Chierchia, Gian-Battista; Chiodini, Alessandra; Del Bufalo, Alessandro; Moccetti, Tiziano; Goya, Masahiko; Hirao, Kenzo; Vicentini, Alessandro; De Ferrari, Gaetano M; Brugada, Pedro; Auricchio, Angelo (2017). High rate of subcutaneous implantable cardioverter-defibrillator sensing screening failure in patients with Brugada syndrome: a comparison with other inherited primary arrhythmia syndromes. Europace:Epub ahead of print.

Abstract

Aims: Subcutaneous implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (S-ICD) can avoid important complications associated with transvenous leads in patients with inherited primary arrhythmia syndromes, who do not need pacing therapy. Few data are available on the percentage of patients with inherited arrhythmia syndromes eligible for S-ICD implantation. Aim of this study was to analyse the eligibility for S-ICD in a series of patients with Brugada syndrome (BrS), and to compare it with patients with other channelopathies.
Methods and results: Patients presenting with BrS, long-QT syndrome (LQTS), early repolarization syndrome (ERS), and idiopathic ventricular fibrillation (IVF) were considered eligible for this study. ECG screening was performed by analysis of QRS complex and T wave morphology recorded in standing and supine position. Eligibility was defined when ≥1 sense vector was acceptable in both supine and standing position. A total of 100 patients (72 males; mean age: 46 ± 17 years) underwent S-ICD sensing screening. Sixty-one patients presented with BrS, 21 with LQTS, 14 with IVF, and 4 with ERS. Thirty-four patients with BrS (56%) presented with spontaneous type 1 ECG. In the other 27 patients (44%), type 1 ECG was unmasked by ajmaline. Overall, rate of screening failure was 13%. Patients with BrS had a higher rate of inappropriate morphology analysis as compared with other channelopathies (18% vs. 5%, P = 0.07) and had a lower number of suitable sensing vectors (49.6% vs. 84.7% vs. P < 0.001). Ajmaline challenge unmasked sensing failure in 14.8% of drug-induced BrS patients previously considered eligible. In all patients, the reason for sensing inappropriateness was due to the presence of high T wave voltages.
Conclusion: S-ICD screening failure occurs in up to 13% of patients with inherited primary arrhythmia syndromes. Patients with BrS present a higher rate of screening failure as compared with other cardiac channelopathies.

Abstract

Aims: Subcutaneous implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (S-ICD) can avoid important complications associated with transvenous leads in patients with inherited primary arrhythmia syndromes, who do not need pacing therapy. Few data are available on the percentage of patients with inherited arrhythmia syndromes eligible for S-ICD implantation. Aim of this study was to analyse the eligibility for S-ICD in a series of patients with Brugada syndrome (BrS), and to compare it with patients with other channelopathies.
Methods and results: Patients presenting with BrS, long-QT syndrome (LQTS), early repolarization syndrome (ERS), and idiopathic ventricular fibrillation (IVF) were considered eligible for this study. ECG screening was performed by analysis of QRS complex and T wave morphology recorded in standing and supine position. Eligibility was defined when ≥1 sense vector was acceptable in both supine and standing position. A total of 100 patients (72 males; mean age: 46 ± 17 years) underwent S-ICD sensing screening. Sixty-one patients presented with BrS, 21 with LQTS, 14 with IVF, and 4 with ERS. Thirty-four patients with BrS (56%) presented with spontaneous type 1 ECG. In the other 27 patients (44%), type 1 ECG was unmasked by ajmaline. Overall, rate of screening failure was 13%. Patients with BrS had a higher rate of inappropriate morphology analysis as compared with other channelopathies (18% vs. 5%, P = 0.07) and had a lower number of suitable sensing vectors (49.6% vs. 84.7% vs. P < 0.001). Ajmaline challenge unmasked sensing failure in 14.8% of drug-induced BrS patients previously considered eligible. In all patients, the reason for sensing inappropriateness was due to the presence of high T wave voltages.
Conclusion: S-ICD screening failure occurs in up to 13% of patients with inherited primary arrhythmia syndromes. Patients with BrS present a higher rate of screening failure as compared with other cardiac channelopathies.

Statistics

Citations

Dimensions.ai Metrics

Altmetrics

Additional indexing

Item Type:Journal Article, refereed, original work
Communities & Collections:04 Faculty of Medicine > Cardiocentro Ticino
Dewey Decimal Classification:610 Medicine & health
Language:English
Date:7 March 2017
Deposited On:06 Feb 2018 19:13
Last Modified:19 Feb 2018 10:27
Publisher:Oxford University Press
ISSN:1099-5129
OA Status:Closed
Free access at:Publisher DOI. An embargo period may apply.
Publisher DOI:https://doi.org/10.1093/europace/eux009
PubMed ID:28340026

Download

Full text not available from this repository.
View at publisher