Header

UZH-Logo

Maintenance Infos

An unusual cause of traumatic reticulitis/reticuloperitonitis in a herd of Swiss dairy cows nearby an airport


Braun, Ueli; Milicevic, A; Forster, E; Irmer, M; Reichle, S; Previtali, M; Gautschi, A; Steininger, K; Thoma, R; Zeller, S; Lazzarini, A; Manzoni, C; Ohlerth, Stefanie (2009). An unusual cause of traumatic reticulitis/reticuloperitonitis in a herd of Swiss dairy cows nearby an airport. Schweizer Archiv für Tierheilkunde, 151(3):127-131.

Abstract

This report describes the findings in five cows from one dairy herd, in which all 31 cows were slaughtered or euthanased because of traumatic reticuloperitonitis. All the cows had numerous thin sharp pieces of metal attached to a magnet in the reticulum, giving the magnet a hedgehog-like appearance. Investigation revealed that the cattle had eaten forage harvested from a field immediately adjacent to an airport. The snow was cleared from the airport runways with a machine that had a wire-bristle brush attachment. Mechanical wear resulted in numerous wire bristles breaking and these were blown with the snow onto the field in question. The wire then became accidentally incorporated into the hay and grass silage at harvest the next summer and was ingested by the cattle in the fall and winter. To prevent further cases, approximately 200 tonnes of hay and grass silage contaminated with wire were discarded and 30 hectares of the 50-hectare field were cultivated and re-sown. The wire-bristles of the snow plough were replaced with plastic bristles. The cost of this and the livestock loss was several hundred thousand Swiss Francs.

Abstract

This report describes the findings in five cows from one dairy herd, in which all 31 cows were slaughtered or euthanased because of traumatic reticuloperitonitis. All the cows had numerous thin sharp pieces of metal attached to a magnet in the reticulum, giving the magnet a hedgehog-like appearance. Investigation revealed that the cattle had eaten forage harvested from a field immediately adjacent to an airport. The snow was cleared from the airport runways with a machine that had a wire-bristle brush attachment. Mechanical wear resulted in numerous wire bristles breaking and these were blown with the snow onto the field in question. The wire then became accidentally incorporated into the hay and grass silage at harvest the next summer and was ingested by the cattle in the fall and winter. To prevent further cases, approximately 200 tonnes of hay and grass silage contaminated with wire were discarded and 30 hectares of the 50-hectare field were cultivated and re-sown. The wire-bristles of the snow plough were replaced with plastic bristles. The cost of this and the livestock loss was several hundred thousand Swiss Francs.

Statistics

Citations

Dimensions.ai Metrics
2 citations in Web of Science®
3 citations in Scopus®
2 citations in Microsoft Academic
Google Scholar™

Altmetrics

Downloads

182 downloads since deposited on 13 Mar 2009
21 downloads since 12 months
Detailed statistics

Additional indexing

Item Type:Journal Article, refereed, original work
Communities & Collections:05 Vetsuisse Faculty > Institute of Veterinary Pathology
05 Vetsuisse Faculty > Veterinary Clinic > Department of Small Animals
05 Vetsuisse Faculty > Veterinary Clinic > Department of Farm Animals
Dewey Decimal Classification:570 Life sciences; biology
Language:English
Date:March 2009
Deposited On:13 Mar 2009 14:05
Last Modified:17 Feb 2018 22:45
Publisher:Hans Huber
ISSN:0036-7281
OA Status:Green
Publisher DOI:https://doi.org/10.1024/0036-7281.151.3.127
PubMed ID:19263382

Download