Header

UZH-Logo

Maintenance Infos

Risk and Rationality: Uncovering Heterogeneity in Probability Distortion


Bruhin, Adrian; Fehr-Duda, Helga; Epper, Thomas (2009). Risk and Rationality: Uncovering Heterogeneity in Probability Distortion. Working paper series / Institute for Empirical Research in Economics No. 414, University of Zurich.

Abstract

It has long been recognized that there is considerable heterogeneity in individual risk taking behavior but little is known about the distributionnof risk taking types. We present a parsimonious characterization of risk taking behavior by estimating a finite mixture regression model for three different experimental data sets, two Swiss and one Chinese, over a large number of real gains and losses. We find two distinct types of individuals: In all three data sets, the choices of roughly 80% of the subjects exhibitnsignificant deviations from linear probability weighting, consistent with prospect theory. 20% of the subjects weight probabilities near linearly and behave essentially as expected value maximizers. Moreover, individuals are cleanly assigned to one type with probabilities close to unity. The reliability and robustness of our classification suggest using a mix of preference theories in applied economic modeling.

Abstract

It has long been recognized that there is considerable heterogeneity in individual risk taking behavior but little is known about the distributionnof risk taking types. We present a parsimonious characterization of risk taking behavior by estimating a finite mixture regression model for three different experimental data sets, two Swiss and one Chinese, over a large number of real gains and losses. We find two distinct types of individuals: In all three data sets, the choices of roughly 80% of the subjects exhibitnsignificant deviations from linear probability weighting, consistent with prospect theory. 20% of the subjects weight probabilities near linearly and behave essentially as expected value maximizers. Moreover, individuals are cleanly assigned to one type with probabilities close to unity. The reliability and robustness of our classification suggest using a mix of preference theories in applied economic modeling.

Statistics

Downloads

531 downloads since deposited on 29 Nov 2011
20 downloads since 12 months
Detailed statistics

Additional indexing

Item Type:Working Paper
Communities & Collections:03 Faculty of Economics > Department of Economics
Working Paper Series > Institute for Empirical Research in Economics (former)
Dewey Decimal Classification:330 Economics
Language:English
Date:May 2009
Deposited On:29 Nov 2011 20:09
Last Modified:12 Aug 2017 12:46
Series Name:Working paper series / Institute for Empirical Research in Economics
ISSN:1424-0459
Official URL:http://www.econ.uzh.ch/wp.html

Download

Preview Icon on Download
Preview
Filetype: PDF
Size: 498kB

TrendTerms

TrendTerms displays relevant terms of the abstract of this publication and related documents on a map. The terms and their relations were extracted from ZORA using word statistics. Their timelines are taken from ZORA as well. The bubble size of a term is proportional to the number of documents where the term occurs. Red, orange, yellow and green colors are used for terms that occur in the current document; red indicates high interlinkedness of a term with other terms, orange, yellow and green decreasing interlinkedness. Blue is used for terms that have a relation with the terms in this document, but occur in other documents.
You can navigate and zoom the map. Mouse-hovering a term displays its timeline, clicking it yields the associated documents.

Author Collaborations