Header

UZH-Logo

Maintenance Infos

Factors associated with the need of biventricular mechanical circulatory support in children with advanced heart failure


Fan, Ye; Zhang, An-Mei; Weng, Yu-Guo; Huebler, Michael; Miera, Oliver; Franz, Norbert; Qian, Gui-Sheng; Hetzer, Roland (2013). Factors associated with the need of biventricular mechanical circulatory support in children with advanced heart failure. European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, 43(5):1028-1035.

Abstract

OBJECTIVES: Postimplantation right ventricular dysfunction is associated with increased morbidity and mortality in ventricular assist device (VAD) recipients. This study aimed to determine the preoperative risk factors for severe right heart failure needing biventricular mechanical circulatory support in children with end-stage heart failure. METHODS: We reviewed data from 84 children supported with long-term VADs at the German Heart Institute Berlin between January 1999 and October 2010. Right ventricular assist device (RVAD) support was needed for 24 (29%) patients, and the other 60 (71%) were implanted with left ventricular assist devices (LVADs). RESULTS: The median age at implantation was 7 years (12 days-18 years), and the median support time was 41 days (1-432 days). Of the 84 patients, the overall survival to transplantation or recovery of ventricular function was 69%. Compared with children implanted with LVAD, patients receiving biventricular support had significantly higher postoperative mortality (P = 0.04). The multivariate logistic regression indicated that decreased milrinone use was the only preoperative factor independently associated with increased requirement for biventricular support (odds ratio: 0.1, 95% confidence interval: 0.04-0.64, P = 0.01). Children treated with milrinone preoperatively showed improved survival after implantation (P = 0.04). CONCLUSIONS: Paediatric patients needing biventricular support had significantly higher postoperative mortality. Preoperative milrinone use might decrease the risk of severe right ventricular failure requiring additional RVAD insertion and improve postimplantation survival in children with advanced heart failure.

Abstract

OBJECTIVES: Postimplantation right ventricular dysfunction is associated with increased morbidity and mortality in ventricular assist device (VAD) recipients. This study aimed to determine the preoperative risk factors for severe right heart failure needing biventricular mechanical circulatory support in children with end-stage heart failure. METHODS: We reviewed data from 84 children supported with long-term VADs at the German Heart Institute Berlin between January 1999 and October 2010. Right ventricular assist device (RVAD) support was needed for 24 (29%) patients, and the other 60 (71%) were implanted with left ventricular assist devices (LVADs). RESULTS: The median age at implantation was 7 years (12 days-18 years), and the median support time was 41 days (1-432 days). Of the 84 patients, the overall survival to transplantation or recovery of ventricular function was 69%. Compared with children implanted with LVAD, patients receiving biventricular support had significantly higher postoperative mortality (P = 0.04). The multivariate logistic regression indicated that decreased milrinone use was the only preoperative factor independently associated with increased requirement for biventricular support (odds ratio: 0.1, 95% confidence interval: 0.04-0.64, P = 0.01). Children treated with milrinone preoperatively showed improved survival after implantation (P = 0.04). CONCLUSIONS: Paediatric patients needing biventricular support had significantly higher postoperative mortality. Preoperative milrinone use might decrease the risk of severe right ventricular failure requiring additional RVAD insertion and improve postimplantation survival in children with advanced heart failure.

Statistics

Citations

5 citations in Web of Science®
5 citations in Scopus®
Google Scholar™

Altmetrics

Additional indexing

Item Type:Journal Article, refereed, original work
Communities & Collections:04 Faculty of Medicine > University Hospital Zurich > Clinic for Cardiovascular Surgery
04 Faculty of Medicine > University Children's Hospital Zurich > Clinic for Surgery
Dewey Decimal Classification:610 Medicine & health
Language:English
Date:2013
Deposited On:13 Feb 2013 16:36
Last Modified:05 Apr 2016 16:27
Publisher:Elsevier
ISSN:1010-7940
Publisher DOI:https://doi.org/10.1093/ejcts/ezs481
PubMed ID:22942362

Download

Full text not available from this repository.
View at publisher

TrendTerms

TrendTerms displays relevant terms of the abstract of this publication and related documents on a map. The terms and their relations were extracted from ZORA using word statistics. Their timelines are taken from ZORA as well. The bubble size of a term is proportional to the number of documents where the term occurs. Red, orange, yellow and green colors are used for terms that occur in the current document; red indicates high interlinkedness of a term with other terms, orange, yellow and green decreasing interlinkedness. Blue is used for terms that have a relation with the terms in this document, but occur in other documents.
You can navigate and zoom the map. Mouse-hovering a term displays its timeline, clicking it yields the associated documents.

Author Collaborations