Header

UZH-Logo

Maintenance Infos

Cost-effective therapy remission assessment in lymphoma patients using 2-[fluorine-18]fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose-positron emission tomography/computed tomography: is an end of treatment exam necessary in all patients?


Strobel, K; Schaefer, N; Renner, C; Veit-Haibach, P; Husarik, D; Koma, A; Hany, T (2006). Cost-effective therapy remission assessment in lymphoma patients using 2-[fluorine-18]fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose-positron emission tomography/computed tomography: is an end of treatment exam necessary in all patients? Annals of Oncology, 18(4):658-664.

Abstract

Background: The aim of this study was to evaluate the necessity of 2-[fluorine-18]fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose-positron emission tomography/computed tomography (FDG-PET/CT) after end of treatment in lymphoma patients who had an interim FDG-PET/CT. Patients and methods: In 38 patients with Hodgkin's disease (HD) and 30 patients with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) interim PET/CT (intPET) after two to four cycles of chemotherapy and PET/CT after completion of first-line treatment (endPET) were carried out. Cost reduction was retrospectively calculated for the potentially superfluous endPET examinations. Results: In 31 (82%) HD patients, intPET demonstrated complete remission (CR) which was still present on endPET. The remaining seven HD patients (18%) had partial remission (PR) on intPET. For NHL, 22 (73%) patients had CR on intPET analysis which was still present on endPET. In the remaining eight NHL patients, intPET revealed PR in seven and stable disease in one patient. None of all intPET complete responders progressed until the end of therapy. Thus, of the 196 PET/CT's carried out in our study population, 53 endPET's (27.0%) were carried out in interim complete responders. Conclusion: End-treatment PET/CT is unnecessary if intPET shows CR and the clinical course is uncomplicated. An imaging cost reduction of 27% in our study population could have been achieved by omitting end of treatment FDG-PET/CT in interim complete responders

Abstract

Background: The aim of this study was to evaluate the necessity of 2-[fluorine-18]fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose-positron emission tomography/computed tomography (FDG-PET/CT) after end of treatment in lymphoma patients who had an interim FDG-PET/CT. Patients and methods: In 38 patients with Hodgkin's disease (HD) and 30 patients with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) interim PET/CT (intPET) after two to four cycles of chemotherapy and PET/CT after completion of first-line treatment (endPET) were carried out. Cost reduction was retrospectively calculated for the potentially superfluous endPET examinations. Results: In 31 (82%) HD patients, intPET demonstrated complete remission (CR) which was still present on endPET. The remaining seven HD patients (18%) had partial remission (PR) on intPET. For NHL, 22 (73%) patients had CR on intPET analysis which was still present on endPET. In the remaining eight NHL patients, intPET revealed PR in seven and stable disease in one patient. None of all intPET complete responders progressed until the end of therapy. Thus, of the 196 PET/CT's carried out in our study population, 53 endPET's (27.0%) were carried out in interim complete responders. Conclusion: End-treatment PET/CT is unnecessary if intPET shows CR and the clinical course is uncomplicated. An imaging cost reduction of 27% in our study population could have been achieved by omitting end of treatment FDG-PET/CT in interim complete responders

Statistics

Citations

Dimensions.ai Metrics
15 citations in Web of Science®
19 citations in Scopus®
Google Scholar™

Altmetrics

Downloads

2 downloads since deposited on 02 Nov 2018
2 downloads since 12 months
Detailed statistics

Additional indexing

Item Type:Journal Article, refereed, original work
Communities & Collections:National licences > 142-005
Dewey Decimal Classification:610 Medicine & health
Language:English
Date:6 October 2006
Deposited On:02 Nov 2018 06:46
Last Modified:03 Nov 2018 01:26
Publisher:Oxford University Press
ISSN:0923-7534
OA Status:Green
Free access at:Publisher DOI. An embargo period may apply.
Publisher DOI:https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdl493
Related URLs:https://www.swissbib.ch/Search/Results?lookfor=nationallicenceoxford101093annoncmdl493 (Library Catalogue)

Download

Download PDF  'Cost-effective therapy remission assessment in lymphoma patients using 2-[fluorine-18]fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose-positron emission tomography/computed tomography: is an end of treatment exam necessary in all patients?'.
Preview
Content: Published Version
Language: English
Filetype: PDF (Nationallizenz 142-005)
Size: 324kB
View at publisher