Header

UZH-Logo

Maintenance Infos

The Second International Conference on Sentinel Node Biopsy in Mucosal Head and Neck Cancer


Stoeckli, Sandro J; Pfaltz, Madeleine; Ross, Gary L; Steinert, Hans C; MacDonald, D G; Wittekind, Christian; Soutar, David S (2005). The Second International Conference on Sentinel Node Biopsy in Mucosal Head and Neck Cancer. Annals of Surgical Oncology, 12(11):919-924.

Abstract

Background: The Second International Conference on Sentinel Node Biopsy in Mucosal Head and Neck Cancer was hosted by the Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery of the University Hospital in Zurich, Switzerland, from September 12 to 13, 2003. The aims of this conference were to present the results of validation studies and to achieve a consensus on methodological requirements. Methods: More than 80 delegates from 20 countries attended the conference. The presented validation studies were summarized and compared with the literature. Consensus was achieved concerning requirements for lymphatic mapping and histopathologic work-up. Results: Twenty centers presented results on 379 patients with cN0 disease. Sentinel nodes were identified in 366 (97%) of 379. Of these 366, 103 (29%) were positive for occult metastasis, and 263 (71%) were negative. Of those 263 patients, 11 patients (4%) showed nodal disease not revealed by the sentinel lymph node biopsy (SNB). The negative predictive value of a negative sentinel node for the remaining neck was 96%. The consensus conference resulted in the use of a radiotracer, lymphoscintigraphy, and a handheld gamma probe for lymphatic mapping as minimal requirements. The use of conventional hematoxylin and eosin staining and immunohistochemistry for cytokeratin is mandatory. Step-sectioning of the entire node at intervals of 150μm is recommended. Conclusions: The conference attracted delegates from all over the world, thus underscoring the high interest in the topic. With regard to the presented data and the data from the literature, SNB for early oral and oropharyngeal cancer is sufficiently validated. The consensus conference resulted in the definition of minimal methodological requirements for accurate SNB

Abstract

Background: The Second International Conference on Sentinel Node Biopsy in Mucosal Head and Neck Cancer was hosted by the Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery of the University Hospital in Zurich, Switzerland, from September 12 to 13, 2003. The aims of this conference were to present the results of validation studies and to achieve a consensus on methodological requirements. Methods: More than 80 delegates from 20 countries attended the conference. The presented validation studies were summarized and compared with the literature. Consensus was achieved concerning requirements for lymphatic mapping and histopathologic work-up. Results: Twenty centers presented results on 379 patients with cN0 disease. Sentinel nodes were identified in 366 (97%) of 379. Of these 366, 103 (29%) were positive for occult metastasis, and 263 (71%) were negative. Of those 263 patients, 11 patients (4%) showed nodal disease not revealed by the sentinel lymph node biopsy (SNB). The negative predictive value of a negative sentinel node for the remaining neck was 96%. The consensus conference resulted in the use of a radiotracer, lymphoscintigraphy, and a handheld gamma probe for lymphatic mapping as minimal requirements. The use of conventional hematoxylin and eosin staining and immunohistochemistry for cytokeratin is mandatory. Step-sectioning of the entire node at intervals of 150μm is recommended. Conclusions: The conference attracted delegates from all over the world, thus underscoring the high interest in the topic. With regard to the presented data and the data from the literature, SNB for early oral and oropharyngeal cancer is sufficiently validated. The consensus conference resulted in the definition of minimal methodological requirements for accurate SNB

Statistics

Citations

Dimensions.ai Metrics
91 citations in Web of Science®
93 citations in Scopus®
Google Scholar™

Altmetrics

Downloads

21 downloads since deposited on 24 Oct 2018
11 downloads since 12 months
Detailed statistics

Additional indexing

Item Type:Journal Article, refereed, original work
Communities & Collections:National licences > 142-005
Dewey Decimal Classification:610 Medicine & health
Scopus Subject Areas:Health Sciences > Surgery
Health Sciences > Oncology
Language:English
Date:1 November 2005
Deposited On:24 Oct 2018 13:37
Last Modified:31 Jul 2020 02:45
Publisher:Springer
ISSN:1068-9265
OA Status:Green
Publisher DOI:https://doi.org/10.1245/aso.2005.11.024
Related URLs:https://www.swissbib.ch/Search/Results?lookfor=nationallicencespringer101245ASO200511024 (Library Catalogue)

Download

Green Open Access

Download PDF  'The Second International Conference on Sentinel Node Biopsy in Mucosal Head and Neck Cancer'.
Preview
Content: Published Version
Language: English
Filetype: PDF (Nationallizenz 142-005)
Size: 98kB
View at publisher