The Palaeontological Museum of the University of Zurich is part of the Palaeontologica Instiut and Museum. It was founded in 1956, but palaeontological objects were already prepared and exhibited before in the Zoologica Museum of the University of Zurich. Teh roots of ur collections date much further back to the eighteenth century: Many of the fossil specimens published by Scheuchzer between 1731 and 1735 are stored in our collections (Fig. 56.1), and some specimens are even on display. These specimens were later incorporated in the "Vereingte Zürcher Naturhistorische Sammlung" of the Zürcher Naturforschende Gesellschaft, which was founded in 1745 by Johann Gessner. After a time interval of administrative dubieties, geological objects and fossil invertebrates were distributed to the geological collections while vertebrate fossils became par of the Zoological collections around 1909.