Poisoning in children with household products are common. The majority of these accidents are of low severity and resolve without complications. The big challenge for physicians is to reveal the few situations that could be life-threatening where immediate interventions is needed. The most commonly encountered substances in household products are detergents, alcohols (ethanol, isopropanol), hydrocarbons, as well as irritants (bleach, limescale removers). Rare but dangerous chemicals are for example "toxic alcohols" (methanol, ethylene glycol) and strong acids and alkalis. Also in case of ingestion of button batteries or magnets severe cases are uncommon but each case must be judged carefully to identify the cases where complications could appear.