Header

UZH-Logo

Maintenance Infos

A survey on regenerative surgery performed by Swiss specialists in periodontology with special emphasis on the application of enamel matrix derivatives in infrabony defects


Schröen, Ola; Sahrmann, Philipp; Roos, Malgorzata; Attin, Thomas; Schmidlin, Patrick R (2011). A survey on regenerative surgery performed by Swiss specialists in periodontology with special emphasis on the application of enamel matrix derivatives in infrabony defects. Schweizer Monatsschrift für Zahnmedizin SMfZ, 121(2):136-142.

Abstract

This survey aimed to evaluate the common practice of regenerative periodontal surgery with special regard to the use of enamel matrix derivatives (EMD, Emdogain® ) by board-certified specialists in periodontology and non-certified, but active members of the Swiss Society of Periodontology (SSP). A cross-sectional postal survey of 533 dentists, representing all members of the SSP practising in Switzerland, was conducted. The questionnaire consisted of three sections, assessing: 1) general personal information regarding the practice setting and education, 2) general questions regarding periodontal surgery practices and 3) specific questions regarding the use of EMD. The information obtained was compared and differences between specialists and non-specialists were calculated. P-values smaller than 5% were considered significant. Sixty-nine percent of the specialists answered the questionnaire, compared to only 37.4% of the non-specialists (overall: 42.4%). In general, specialists performed surgeries more frequently, and presented a significantly higher percentage of EMD users than the non-specialists. The application guidelines were followed in general. Some differences were observed in application and selection criteria. The subjective perception of clinical success varied greatly among clinicians. Residual pockets were reported to be present in approximately one third of the defects after therapy. In conclusion, this survey revealed that EMD was used on a regular basis by dentists performing periodontal therapy. In addition, the answers by both groups generally corresponded well with the current available literature.

Abstract

This survey aimed to evaluate the common practice of regenerative periodontal surgery with special regard to the use of enamel matrix derivatives (EMD, Emdogain® ) by board-certified specialists in periodontology and non-certified, but active members of the Swiss Society of Periodontology (SSP). A cross-sectional postal survey of 533 dentists, representing all members of the SSP practising in Switzerland, was conducted. The questionnaire consisted of three sections, assessing: 1) general personal information regarding the practice setting and education, 2) general questions regarding periodontal surgery practices and 3) specific questions regarding the use of EMD. The information obtained was compared and differences between specialists and non-specialists were calculated. P-values smaller than 5% were considered significant. Sixty-nine percent of the specialists answered the questionnaire, compared to only 37.4% of the non-specialists (overall: 42.4%). In general, specialists performed surgeries more frequently, and presented a significantly higher percentage of EMD users than the non-specialists. The application guidelines were followed in general. Some differences were observed in application and selection criteria. The subjective perception of clinical success varied greatly among clinicians. Residual pockets were reported to be present in approximately one third of the defects after therapy. In conclusion, this survey revealed that EMD was used on a regular basis by dentists performing periodontal therapy. In addition, the answers by both groups generally corresponded well with the current available literature.

Statistics

Citations

Dimensions.ai Metrics

2 citations in Scopus®
4 citations in Microsoft Academic
Google Scholar™

Altmetrics

Downloads

165 downloads since deposited on 09 Sep 2011
15 downloads since 12 months
Detailed statistics

Additional indexing

Item Type:Journal Article, refereed, original work
Communities & Collections:04 Faculty of Medicine > Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Prevention Institute (EBPI)
04 Faculty of Medicine > Center for Dental Medicine > Clinic for Preventive Dentistry, Periodontology and Cariology
Dewey Decimal Classification:610 Medicine & health
Language:English
Date:2011
Deposited On:09 Sep 2011 06:07
Last Modified:20 Sep 2018 03:24
Publisher:Schweizerische Zahnärzte-Gesellschft
ISSN:0256-2855
OA Status:Green
Related URLs:http://www.sso.ch/index.cfm?ABEEC61C1185B8C4BA1FA291D718B82D (Publisher)
PubMed ID:21394687

Download

Download PDF  'A survey on regenerative surgery performed by Swiss specialists in periodontology with special emphasis on the application of enamel matrix derivatives in infrabony defects'.
Preview
Content: Published Version
Filetype: PDF
Size: 2MB